Last week I had the honor to go on the first ever Social Good retreat, Jersey Love where I got to meet the most amazing women. I could gush all day about how much I love them, that’s how amazing everyone was. But the one thing that hit me the most was visiting Belmar. As soon as I stepped out of the car it was as if I got hit in the face by a brick wall of amazing. The smell from the ocean was an instant flash back for me and it smelled absolutely wonderful. I almost broke down into tears just from the smell alone. But then I walked off alone to put my feet in the water and it was as if every thing just rushed away. I felt….home.
Look ma I see a surfer out in the distance. Can you spot him?
These ladies rocked the waves!
Eight years, that’s how long I had braces. Eight painstaking YEARS. Whenever I discuss my braces story with friends or even new Dentists they all say pretty much the same thing, “eight years is a really long time”. You’re telling me folks.
It all started the year the photo on the left was taken, look how bitty I was. Ignore the awesomeness that is known as the fanny pack, jelly shoes, leggings and over sized sweater worn as a dress. Yeah it was the late 80’s early 90’s what can I say. I didn’t get my braces off until right before high school. So all through elementary and middle school I had braces. To say I didn’t smile often would be an understatement. Or if I did smile I did it with my mouth closed because in addition to the braces I also had to do the rubber band from my top teeth to my bottom teeth. Two rubber bands in my mouth to be changed daily. The only thing I was fortunate not to have to get was head gear. I ended up getting so used to smiling with my mouth closed that even to this day I do not like to smile with my mouth open. What I wouldn’t have given to not have to deal with braces. And to think Invisalign started being used by Orthodontists in 1999, one year after I had my braces removed.
Invisalign has brought the world of brace’s to a whole new level. By taking away metal braces and introducing removable aligners they have quickly become the favored choice between adults and teens alike. By using a series of clear plastic aligners that fit flat on your teeth you take away the pain from getting metal braces adjusted, use of rubber bands, possible cuts from metal wires coming loose or brackets falling off. I experienced all of the above with my braces, I even had a wire pop off and go straight into my cheek!
Benefits of using Invisalign:
- Because you can remove the aligners there are no restrictions on what you can or can’t eat! That’s right no more grabbing a giant jaw breaker and gnawing on that just because you were told you weren’t allowed to.
- Adults, teens and even pre-teens can smile with confidence while using the aligners because unlike metal braces Invisalign aligners are almost invisible.
- Since you don’t need to constantly have adjustments done as you do with metal braces you will have fewer orthodontic visits. For us busy moms this is big as I am sure it is for teens as well, because who wants to be bogged down going to the ortho every week.
- You can start seeing progress with your teeth in as little as 90 days!
- And one of my favorite benefits is NO more goopy clay like molds that make you gag as it drips down your throat….shudders, that is one feeling I will never forget.
Okay now in all honesty here, can you tell she’s wearing aligners? I can’t and as a former braces wearer I think it’s awesome and I may or may not be slightly jealous of the amazing options that are available now. Have you or someone you’ve known used Invisalign? If so, what was their experience? Would you consider getting Invisalign?
As many of you remember Hurricane Sandy went through the Jersey area and devastated most of the shore line. Small shops, homes, restaurants and boardwalks were destroyed. Some have rebuilt, other’s are still working on rebuilding but they will come back and some have sadly had to close their doors.
You are beautiful in every single way, words can’t bring me down. It may be corny and tacky and all that sappy stuff but I don’t care. It’s what I sing to myself whenever I get down and feel like just giving up on my journey to a healthier me. Yeah sure I have my down days where I just want to shove my face and veg out but all I have to do is look at my kids and I snap myself out of it.
See my kids are my inspiration. I want to be there for them as long as I can. My body has been falling apart the last ten years, I simply let myself go and I am paying the price for it. When you don’t take care of yourself things don’t just magically happen so I am done being that person. I am taking better care of myself. Part of my commitment to myself is to include exercise in my weekly routine as often as I can and on the days I don’t get a chance to then I have to have walked at least 5,000 steps. No more I cants, all I will be chanting is #IWILL
I know you may be thinking what a low goal that is but let me explain a little. I work from home, on the computer all.day.long. So while I do get up to do lunch and dinner and household chores I still spend the better part of my day on my rear end. Not good for me and sure as heck not good on my butt. So while 5,000 steps is in fact a small number for the avid runner or walker for me it’s a start to my journey and get back to the kick butt, in shape, running for the pure enjoyment of it person that I used to be.
Under Armour wants to help redefine the female athlete. But not just in their eyes, in yours. What does it mean to you to be a female athlete? Sounds like something you want to do right?
- Set up an account at Under Armour: What’s Beautiful
- Put in your goal(s). Don’t be scared to aim big because 3 finalist will get to attend the Under Armour Retreat in Costa Rica! They will also receive yoga sessions, surfing lessons, spa treatments and more.
- Do whatever you need to do to reach those goals and don’t forget to keep track of it on the website.
- Encourage, Inspire and Support others the community.
- Feed the Children: They have set up donations areas at some local news stations and are accepting donations in the form of water, sports drinks, canned food, diapers and blankets.
- Samaritan’s Purse: Samaritan’s Purse is on their way to the Moore and Shawnee area ready to help in any way they can. You can donate via their site and/or volunteer to help in the efforts. You can volunteer here.
- The Salvation Army: You can donate online, text STORM to 80888 to donate $10 or you can call in a donation to 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
- Red Cross: You can donate at Redcross.org call 1-800-RED CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation
- Disaster Relief of Oklahoma: You can donate here or mail a donation to this address BGCO
Attn: Disaster Relief, 3800 N. May Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73112
- Animal Resource Center: If you find any animals, you can take them to the Animal Resource Center at 7949 S. I-35 Service Road (405) 604-2892.
- The Pet Food Pantry of OKC is offering dog food, cat food, leashes, collars, food bowls, etc to those in need (405) 664-2858
- Central Oklahoma Humane Society: You can make donations online or if you are local they have two drop off locations set up at 5420 N Classen Blvd Oklahoma City, OK AND 2905 NW 70th St. Oklahoma City, OK. They also have a lost and found page set up here.
- Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma : http://
www.regionalfoodbank.org/ or text FOOD to 32333
If you are in need of shelter here is a list of local shelters
- University of Oklahoma – they released a statement earlier that they have opened up student housing in Norman for those seeking shelter
- Oklahoma Baptist University – student housing (Shawnee)
- Graceway Baptist Church, located at 1100 S.W. 104th in Oklahoma City.
- Oakcrest Church of Christ at 1111 S.W. 89th Street in Moore.
- Victory Church, located 4300 North MacArthur in Oklahoma City.
- Journey Church in Norman I-35 and Tecumseh Road is open as a shelter.
- Fifth Street Missionary Baptist Church, located at 801 N.E. 5th St. Oklahoma City.
- St. Andrews Church, located at S.W. 119th and May.
- Trinity Church of the Nazarene is open as an emergency shelter. It is located at 7301 S. Walker, just on the north side of I-240.
If you have a family member in the area and cannot locate them please make sure to check the Red Cross Safe and Well site. You can check in for loved one’s to know you’re safe or you can search for your loved one’s.
Confession time…..I just saw The Hunger Games a few weeks ago and :::GASP::: I’ve never read the books.
I know I know, who hasn’t read the books yet anymore. It seems as though everyone out there who knows how to read has read them. And if they haven’t then they have plans to. Another confession, I had no interest in reading the books until after I watched the movie. In fact I was being completely silly and boycotting it because, well I don’t know why. It was ridiculous of me and I totally feel silly about it, but I have to read them now. I mean, hello??? I have to catch up before the second movie comes out right?
So without further a due, and embarrassment on my part, I give you the official poster for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
And in case you haven’t had a chance to take a peak at the trailer I’ll be super nice and include a peak for you.
Looks awesome right? Good thing I have until November to catch up on all the books so I am not lost like I was while watching the first one. Be sure to follow Catching Fire on Facebook and Twitter to keep up on the latest happenings!
In February we added a new member to our family, Theta. The cutest little runt Beagle you have ever seen. She is a handful, one I will admit, that I was so not prepared for. See I have never had a dog on my own. I guess I did it backwards. Most people have plants, then dogs then kids. Me…I kill plants and had three kids young, then for some reason I decided we should get a puppy since the kids are a bit older.
Fast forward three months and here we are with our soon to be six month old
insane active puppy. When we adopted her the office mentioned getting her chipped and I immediately cringed. You mean like a chip implanted in her skin, that kind of chip? Yeah sorry that would be a no thank you. I just can’t agree to chipping an animal. So when I was approached about reviewing a non invasive pet tracker I couldn’t say no.
That alert was sent to me via text and as a notification directly through the app so there was no way for me to miss it. When you click on the alert it will open the app and show you the last location of your pet similar to this. You can also view the map version as well.
This device is works exclusively with Verizon Wireless devices and you can download the app for free directly from their website or via Google Play or through iTunes.