I don’t know what possessed me to bake this weekend but I suddenly got the itch to have oatmeal cookies. As I was raiding the pantry I realized that I do not have any raisins. I had cranberries but I wasn’t sure if the kids would like how tart they are so as I was about to become all sad panda I thought hey what about banana oatmeal cookies? And so banana oatmeal cookies were born.
- 2 ripe bananas smashed
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredient bowl and mix until smooth
- Add in half of the oats and the mashed bananas and mix well, then add in the remaining oats
- Put rounded teaspoon sized cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes.
Some how I managed to have three dozen cookies last a week in a house with five people. How I did this I am still not sure but go me!
If you were to feel so inclined as to add a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top of these cookies it will taste ahhhhh-mazing. I only had about a tablespoon worth of frosting left from my last baking expirement which was probably a good thing so I didn’t shovel these cookies into my mouth, but I did have nutella which I may have dropped a teensy bit on top of one of these morsels. Oh.my.yum!