Invisalign, the new alternative to metal braces
Eight years, that’s how long I had braces. Eight painstaking YEARS. Whenever I discuss my braces story with friends or even new Dentists they all say pretty much the same thing, “eight years is a really long time”. You’re telling me folks.
It all started the year the photo on the left was taken, look how bitty I was. Ignore the awesomeness that is known as the fanny pack, jelly shoes, leggings and over sized sweater worn as a dress. Yeah it was the late 80’s early 90’s what can I say. I didn’t get my braces off until right before high school. So all through elementary and middle school I had braces. To say I didn’t smile often would be an understatement. Or if I did smile I did it with my mouth closed because in addition to the braces I also had to do the rubber band from my top teeth to my bottom teeth. Two rubber bands in my mouth to be changed daily. The only thing I was fortunate not to have to get was head gear. I ended up getting so used to smiling with my mouth closed that even to this day I do not like to smile with my mouth open. What I wouldn’t have given to not have to deal with braces. And to think Invisalign started being used by Orthodontists in 1999, one year after I had my braces removed.
Invisalign has brought the world of brace’s to a whole new level. By taking away metal braces and introducing removable aligners they have quickly become the favored choice between adults and teens alike. By using a series of clear plastic aligners that fit flat on your teeth you take away the pain from getting metal braces adjusted, use of rubber bands, possible cuts from metal wires coming loose or brackets falling off. I experienced all of the above with my braces, I even had a wire pop off and go straight into my cheek!
Benefits of using Invisalign:
- Because you can remove the aligners there are no restrictions on what you can or can’t eat! That’s right no more grabbing a giant jaw breaker and gnawing on that just because you were told you weren’t allowed to.
- Adults, teens and even pre-teens can smile with confidence while using the aligners because unlike metal braces Invisalign aligners are almost invisible.
- Since you don’t need to constantly have adjustments done as you do with metal braces you will have fewer orthodontic visits. For us busy moms this is big as I am sure it is for teens as well, because who wants to be bogged down going to the ortho every week.
- You can start seeing progress with your teeth in as little as 90 days!
- And one of my favorite benefits is NO more goopy clay like molds that make you gag as it drips down your throat….shudders, that is one feeling I will never forget.
Okay now in all honesty here, can you tell she’s wearing aligners? I can’t and as a former braces wearer I think it’s awesome and I may or may not be slightly jealous of the amazing options that are available now. Have you or someone you’ve known used Invisalign? If so, what was their experience? Would you consider getting Invisalign?
Gamma Blue 12s For Sale